5/31/2008

Lou's Awesome Muffins (My Version)

This is my interpretation of my wife's high fiber muffins. Her recipe uses whole wheat flour but I make them with rye, I like the texture the rye brings to the muffin and also because I am a big fan of the use of rye in this wheat dominated world.

Dry Works

1 1/2 cup course rye flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milled flax seed
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp table salt
2 tsp Penzeys Baking Spice

Wet Works

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup non-fat yogurt
3 tbl vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla

Additional

1 cup grated carrot
1 cup craisins

Combine the dry works in a small bowl and mix throughly. In a large bowl, combine wet works and beat until mixed throughly. Add grated carrot and craisins and mix. Using a large spatula, mix the dry works into the wet works using as little mixing as needed to bring everything together.

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. Makes 2 dozen small muffins. They are better the next day after a night in the refrigerator.

No comments: