7/21/2009

This weekends baking...

This weekend I did a fair amount of baking. I did Pane Siciliano which is becoming a standby when I have the prep time.


A month or so ago, I got Jeffery Hamelman's "Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes". He had a recipe for a roasted potato bread which I tried this weekend. Aside from the screw up I did on the pre-ferment, it turned out pretty well and Lou proclaims it her new 2nd favorite bread for peanut butter and jelly. The PBJ index tends to be a guiding factor in each weekends bake.


Lastly, I took a run at brioche from the workshop I took this summer. I had a little trouble with the mixing of the dough so it didn't develop the structure it was suppose to have. I turned most of it into apricot-pear tarts with some home made pastry cream. Thus proving even failed attempts can usually be rescued with proper application of some eggs, butter and/or sugar. The book from the class has a couple other variations on brioche that I might try next time.

No comments: